Thursday, December 29, 2011

One Little Word for 2012

Many of my regular followers are familiar with Ali Edward's One Little Word.  She suggests you identify one word that can be your guiding light for the year.  Similar to a new year's resolution, but different in that it leaves things open for whatever might add to your life experience.  As Ali E says, it "...can be a powerful thing.  It can be a ripple in a pond that changes everything.  It can be sharp and biting or rich and soft and slow."  Sometimes the word picks you instead of you picking the word.

This is the fourth year I've identified a word that I would be my mantra for the year. My words have been Simplify (2011), Serenity (2010), and Gratitude (2009)

For 2012, my word is  


Truth
1.  sincerity in action, character and utterance
2.  conformity with fact or reality; verity
3.  a verified or indiputable fact, principle, proposition or the like

And it chose me.  As I was driving.  Talking to myself.  Asking questions about others' actions and then I turned it around and asked about my own actions.  And I realized that what I need in my life right now is for me to be honest with myself.  I need to take ownership of things for which I previously blamed (oh, how I dislike that word) others. 

I need to discover and embrace the truth about my relationships.  About weight loss.  About exercise.  About healthy eating.  About homemaking.  About time management. 

I need to be truthful with myself.  And I will not allow myself to believe what Jack Nicholson says...


Oh, yes I can.  Oh, yes I will.  I can't say this will be easy.  I'm a little anxious on moving forward with this.  But I see that as a good thing.  Being anxious heightens awareness.  And then...

All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered. 
The point is to discover them - Galileo

And so the journey begins. 

I'd love to know if you have a word for 2012.  Feel free to share in the comments or to post a link to your blog.  C'mon...what's YOUR word?

5 comments:

Ms. A said...

My word would be a similar word... "Honesty". Honesty in all things, even if it hurts and quite often it does. No matter how much honesty can hurt, it still beats dishonesty, hands down. I have a hard time with dishonesty and can't lie to save my life, although I am learning to keep my mouth shut when I'm about to be brutally honest, to the point I'm going to hurt someones feelings. I wish the people in my life could do the same.

Leanne said...

What a great word, Peg. And I love your post and explanation about it. Truth. Perfect. I look forward to watching the word, and you, in the new year. truth. I love it.

scrapwordsmom said...

This post is great and your Word is great!! My word chose me, too. I will be revealing on Monday!!!

Tracy said...

Oh Peggy, great word and a fantastic idea...I am getting ready to go on my walk and in the process, I will allow my word to choose me! Thanks for that wonderful tid-bit since I DO NOT do resolutions...
Happy Year!

Anonymous said...