Wednesday, December 30, 2009
Tuesday, December 29, 2009
- where the heck did the year go?? (yes, Virginia, it does speed up as you get older)
- what did I accomplish this year (besides getting up in the morning and making a cup of tea)?
- did I make it a good year?
- what are my goals (a.k.a. resolutions) for the coming year?
Friday, December 25, 2009
As I mentioned in my previous post, I couldn't have felt more joy in giving this gift. Watching the excitement in his face as he enjoyed it was just about the best gift I've ever received. And although I still have a couple more Christmas get togethers to attend over the next couple of days, it is difficult to imagine that I will experience anything more satisfying than watching the excitement on my grandson's face.
I hope your Christmas Day turned out exactly the way you wanted it to be. Mine was!
Monday, December 14, 2009
All of a sudden we hear from the back seat, "Loud. Mom. Louder." They had been waiting all week to hear the song on the radio. "...I play my best for him, pa rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum..." We sat listening to every word, singing to ourselves. As we were eating dinner, I said to Cormick, "Do you know what my favorite part is? Pa rum pum pum pum." "I like that, too", he says with a huge smile. Turns out he knows the story behind the song. He knows why the "little boy drummer" plays the drum and who he plays the drum for. Another "ahhhhhhh - life is good" moment.
Sunday, December 13, 2009
Saturday, December 5, 2009
Friday, November 27, 2009
- I seem to go thru a "I don't want to go" thing every year at Thanksgiving. Although it truly is my favorite holiday, there's something about having the 4 days off that makes me want to stay home and get something done. I'm so glad my PG talked me out of "calling in sick". He SO knows how to play me, y'know??
- There's a certain energy I feel when we all get together at Thanksgiving. I can tell you that it's not just a "feel good" energy...it's an energy that has momentum. I can't even fully describe it, but I can tell you that it feels like goodness. You know how it's said that EVERY family is in some way dysfunctional. (I'm one that believes that, but I also feel that labeling "dysfunction" is a judgment call). But when we're together on Thanksgiving, I just don't feel that. So to my brother and sister-in-law hosts, I thank you for providing us with an atmosphere that is warm and loving.
- I am giddy with delight to see our family growing with the next generation. We now have 4 grandkids and one on the way. It's sometimes still mind-boggling to look at my siblings and realize that some are grandparents or mmmm.... grandparents-in-waiting! (Sorry, kids).
- I admire people who are willing to step into the adventure of trying new recipes. I tend to stick with the tried and true. But there's a whole bunch of good food waiting for you when you take the time to watch the food channels. We had some good stuff to eat yesterday.
- I am so thankful for so much in my life. From the little conversations I have with my grandson ("Go away, grandma") to where I am in my life right now. I am truly blessed. I just wish I was better at putting the little things into words...I'm working on it, but it's likely to be dangerous, y'know...then I'll NEVER shut up!!
- Finally, a dear friend of mine lost his mother the day before Thanksgiving and my heart is breaking for him. Although his mom was sick for a while, it seems that no matter how well prepared we think we are when it comes to the loss of a parent, it still catches us off guard. She was a strong woman, a wonderful role model, taught her kids how to fight back from adversity, but it was time for her to "go with God". To my dear friend, you and your family are in my prayers.
Sunday, November 22, 2009
Thursday, November 19, 2009
Tuesday, November 17, 2009
Saturday, November 14, 2009
- The impact my daughter has had on my life.
- How awestruck I am at the depth of my son's interests and talents.
- How incredibly grateful I am at how incredibly generous the husband of one of the Scrap Cellar participants (actually, he is part owner of the place) is. CT is just the bestest when it comes to understanding that we girls need to do this, and that he's willing to stop and get us lunch. "Love ya, Hun!!!!"
- How, when you least expect it, there are angels in our lives at the some of the oddest crossroads we travel...and how sometimes those angels can turn into real buttheads. I try not to question why that happens, because I know that things happen for a reason. But sometimes it's a bit perplexing.
- How the feelings I have about being a grandma are probably the most difficult to describe. I honestly don't know the words that describe the depth of these feelings. And although I know it's love, it certainly goes deeper and wider than any love I've ever felt. (Sorry PG, but I know you know it's different!!)
Wednesday, November 11, 2009
Thursday, November 5, 2009
Thursday, October 29, 2009
Sunday, October 25, 2009
Friday, October 23, 2009
Monday, October 12, 2009
Thursday, October 8, 2009
Wednesday, October 7, 2009
Saturday, October 3, 2009
Tuesday, September 29, 2009
Thursday, September 24, 2009
Friday, September 18, 2009
- Perennials are one of the best things Mother Nature ever came up with. Plant 'em once and they share their beauty every year.
- There are good "geeks" in high school, and some of them are even popular.
- Everyone can use a little "reinforcement" from the sisterhood once in a while. Sometimes it's enough to convince you to move forward with your dreams.
- My daughter is a grown woman who is extremely capable of making very wise decisions.
- The saying that "being a parent is a job that, when done well, gets you fired" is one that makes me both sad and joyful at the very same time.
- Sometimes, I need caffeine. Well, maybe not NEED... but want. Sometimes I want caffeine.
- You can do someone a favor by being straight up with them. Don't beat around the bush trying to gingerly say what you are saying. Sometimes it's the straight talk that makes things crystal clear.
- Thoughts become things. Choose the good ones.
- I couldn't ask to have fallen in love with a better man than the one I'm in love with.
I hope you all have a wonderful, sun-filled weekend. As for me... I've got two days in front of me to do whatever looks good at the moment!! I'll let you know later what that ends up being.
Saturday, September 12, 2009
Friday, September 11, 2009
My very first visit to New York was just a couple of years ago. I visited Ground Zero. I was in awe at how reverently quiet it was, surrounded by New York street and pedestrian traffic. It's almost as if you could feel the angels protecting the area. It was a feeling I will never forget.