Thursday, October 8, 2009

Adoring Eyes

Two unrelated stories...yet here I go connecting the dots.
1) As I mentioned in yesterday's post, my younger grandson is at the age where he adores his parents.  Even goes so far as telling his mom she's pretty when she gets a little dressed up (y'know...like maybe putting on earrings or a necklace). 
2) In talking with a coworker this week, we were discussing how her son finally "got it" when he realized that "Gee, Mom really DOES know a thing or two about how and why coaches treat players the way they do". 
It brought to mind the thoughts of Mark Twain:  "When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around.  But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much he learned in seven years."
Or this piece entitled "The Images of Mother"
Age 4: "My Mommy can do anything!"
Age 8: "My Mom knows a lot! A whole lot!"
Age 12: "My Mom doesn't really know quite everything."
Age 14: "Naturally, Mother doesn't know that, either."
Age 16: "Mother? She's hopelessly old-fashioned."
Age 18: "That old woman? She's way out of date!"
Age 25: "Well, she might know a little bit about it."
Age 35: "Before we decide, let's get Mom's opinion."
Age 45: "Wonder what Mom would have thought about it?"
Age 55: "Wish I could talk it over with Mom."
I know it's part of growing up, but isn't it just a shame that it has to be that way?  I don't think I know anyone who hasn't gone thru that with their kids or grandkids.  And I know it's necessary for kids to develop their independence.  My kids used to roll their eyes.  Now, I notice that they are silent with regard to "my ignorance".  Over the last six months, I've gradually watched my older grandson work his way to thinking that his grandparents really don't know everything.  Won't be long before the eyes begin to roll whenever I open my mouth.  Hmmm..... I liked it better when the look in his eyes melted my heart.  If yours are little, enjoy the adornment in their eyes.  It won't last!!

No comments: