Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Relay for Life

Our local Relay for Life was held on Friday, July 31. Due to some recent surgery, I was only able to walk two laps. But what an emotional two laps it was. My nephew was part of the color guard. One of my coworkers sang the National Anthem like I've never heard sung before. My brother in law (with the scouts) made sure he kept his eye on me to make sure I didn't fall on my face (thanks, Joe). My sister in the stands cheering on the survivors. And the love of my life, walking with me for the 2nd lap, the caregiver lap. I wish I could explain what comes over me when I talk about beating cancer. I know there are so many people who are much more eloquent, who draw deep into their emotions and put words to that. I feel I come up short. But I will tell you this. I have beaten cancer twice. I have been incredibly lucky to have caught it early enough both times that I didn't need chemo. And I want to spread my luck. I would love to know that each woman reading this has gone for her mammogram this year, and each man has made sure the women in their life (mother, sister, wife) have gone for their mammograms. Because it's the annual mammogram that gives each of us a fighting chance to beat this ugly disease down!

No comments: