Sunday, November 6, 2016

Cubs Win! Cubs Win!

I started this post after right after the Cubs won the NLCS games.  I'm posting it after they won the World Series, but I like where the message was going.
Generally speaking, I don't spend a lot of time watching sports.  I used to say that I was bad luck for the Chicago Bears.  Every time I watched, they lost.  I didn't have a lot of patience to sit and watch a whole Cubs game, so I didn't.  Believe it or not, it never dawned on me to watch highlights.  (Yeah, I really need to talk more about the Cubs with my BFF and die-hard Cubs fan, Murph).
White Sox?  Well, I grew up on the Nort' side so being a Sox fan was never something that was even considered.  Hockey?  Loved it when I was much younger, once my ex-husband taught me about the game.  Then I lost interest when there were too many fights.  Found my love for the game again after watching one of our students, Brody Roybal, as part of the gold medal winning team in the Sochi Paralympics Sledge Hockey games.

I bring all this up because I have reduced my already shortened sleep schedule by getting totally hooked on the Cubs.  Some may call me a bandwagoner.  I'm fine with that.  But here's the thing. This team has an energy that is beyond anything we've seen before.  And you can feel it!!  And it feels like it all stems from their manager.  I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Joe Maddon meditates every morning.  He's just so calm.  And c'mon, what kind of manager would just tell one of his players, when asked for any more advice, "Try not to suck."  He's just so ... great!  I get the feeling he meditates.  He's just so calming.  Watching the way these guys interacted was fun.  I think it was what we needed during this ugly election season.
So here we are after their come-from-behind World Series win, after the parade honoring them, after a week of not too much sleep for what is probably half the Chicagoland, no make that nation's population (cuz there's Cubs fans everywhere).  BFF got to see them win in game 7.  I couldn't have wished anything more for her.  I just may get back into baseball next spring!!  And I might even start watching the Bears.  God knows they couldn't be doing any worse.

No comments: