Saturday, December 31, 2016

One Little Word - 2017

Since 2009, with the exception of two years, I found One Little Word that would be part of my guidance system for the year.  It all started with a blog post by Ali Edwards in 2007 in which she said, "A single word can be a powerful thing.  It can be a ripple in a pond that changes everything.  It can be sharp and biting or rich and soft and slow."  Usually, my word finds me.

In the past, I've had Gratitude, Serenity, Simplify, Truth, Create, and Curiosity.  Some have carried me through the year and others didn't play a big part.  For 2017, I'm looking forward to the guidance of my word. I'm looking forward to how things will be affected in my life when I practice and embrace
Image from montclareschool.org
pa·tience  /pāSHəns/   noun

  1. the capacity to accept or tolerate delay, trouble, or suffering without getting angry or upset.
  2. the ability to continue doing something for a long time without losing interest, especially something difficult.   

2017 will also be the year I retire from a pretty neat job.  I've been incredibly lucky to have good bosses throughout my working career, and the one I have now is the best!  But it's time.  Everyone who willingly retires will tell you that you know when it's time.  And the time for me is now.  I've got a lot of things that are pulling at me right now.  Things that just might let me use my one little word this year.

One last thing before I go...I purchased an amethyst necklace from my friend Liz' Etsy shop.  It just spoke to me. And for some reason, I thought the amythest was my birthstone so why wouldn't I buy it.  Turns out that it's not my birthstone, but when I researched what the amethyst helps with, impatience was one thing mentioned.  See how that word you choose keeps coming up?  This happens to me every year.

So, I shall keep you posted on how I'm doing with my patience practices!


No comments: