Monday, August 28, 2017

Let's try this blogging thing again!!

Yes, it's been awhile.  I've posted once in 2017!  I don't have a good reason, either.  So let's catch up...
I retired from East Leyden High School in January.  So many times you hear people who have retired tell you that you know when it's time.  And so many things in my life were changing that it became very clear to me over the holidays.  So it was an incredible goodbye that started as a little conversation in the dean's office and quickly grew to epic proportions.  But it was an amazingly emotional day!  I have been extremely blessed to work with wonderful people at Leyden, and as they say, you don't miss the job, you miss the people.



So with that free time, I first planned a trip to see my Texas Sisters!  Long overdue and desperately needed!  Oh, how I love these girls!!  Laughs throughout the week!!
Yep, the pic is a bit dated!  The laughs are not!
Then there was a trip to Arkansas to visit PG's daughter and the love of her life!  Went fishing on the Little Red River and caught my first fish.  Life on the river...pretty much outstanding!!!
Yeah, I'm not touchin' it!!
Jill, Steve, and my PG
Next up was a trip to Florida to spend a few days with my middle sister.  She's dealing with some health issues and my youngest sister and I decided we needed to make it a road trip.  And because I'm an early riser and middle sister lives 15 minutes from the ocean, I drove down to take in a few sunrises.  Wow...it's been a while since we've returned, but I'm haunted by the beauty and peace I feel watching the sun rise!  Even if it was behind clouds.
Road Trip!!
Atlantic Sunrise!
And I have resurrected the Cubs fan in me.  Long ago, I put it to sleep because I was convinced that I was a jinx.  When I watched, they lost.  I've decided it's not on my shoulders.  As a result, I have enjoyed each and every game (win or lose, but flying the W is so much sweeter).  And I took in a game with my BFF and Susu!!  A great W, great seats, and just a holler from my guy, Rizzo!!    
Hanging with these two is so fun!!
See all those seats behind us?  Yeah, our seats were AWESOME!
Then, of course, there was the solar eclipse on August 21st.  So when you have the time and can make some last minute decisions to travel south to the path of totality, why wouldn't you?  Okay, so it wasn't last minute, but I found out we were incredibly lucky to have stopped where we were because we actually experienced a cloudless totality.  I wish I could find the words to describe the feeling I had during that.  All I've got is a picture or two.
Totality 8/21/17
Grassy area minutes before totality
Grassy area during totality (zoomed in)
So what's next?  Well, a short trip to Switzerland with my BFF, Murph.  We'll be living like the locals while we visit Murph's OTHER BFF, Andrea!   Ohhhh....this will be epic!!!
Looking forward to a few days of living like a local in Switzerland!
And during this time, I've been volunteering for The Unity in Community Foundation. I've been using my talents to get letters out to sponsors, work on the foundation's website, and other behind-the-scenes things to get ready for their annual fundraiser/food drive on September 9th.  Yeah, I'm not going to let those skills I excelled in while working get rusty!  Anyway, this year we are raising funds to help a local resident in need of a kidney transplant.  You can get more information here.  There's even an online auction that will end at 3 p.m. on the day of the event.

So, if you are looking for a date night on Saturday, September 9th from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m., show up at the Underpass Lounge in Franklin Park.  Tickets are $20 and that gets you entry into the door prize as well as great food by Chef Armando, served by some of the best Advanced Catering students you'll ever meet!  You'll also have an opportunity to bid on the silent auction items, enter raffles for things like wine, gift cards, services, as well as enjoy the music and laughter of hanging with those who come out for our community.  C'mon out and support our community.  Hope to see you there!!

No comments: