Friday, September 11, 2009

9/11/01 - Never Forget

We went to my grandson's sixth grade open house last night. The social studies teacher told us that today, the students would be discussing 9/11 events. She pointed out that these students were so young that many did not know the significance of the date. I looked at my grandson who was nodding his head. I felt like we had missed an opportunity with him. An opportunity to talk about how incredibly sad our nation was within minutes of the 9/11 attacks. An opportunity to tell him how people really do come together in the neediest times, without regard to differences in lifestyles or race or politics or economic well being. We were a nation that pulled together with one cause in mind. We were a nation UNITED.

My very first visit to New York was just a couple of years ago. I visited Ground Zero. I was in awe at how reverently quiet it was, surrounded by New York street and pedestrian traffic. It's almost as if you could feel the angels protecting the area. It was a feeling I will never forget.

God Bless America
And those who continue to protect us
Each and every day.
9/11/01
(Photo origination unknown)

2 comments:

Leanne said...

Peggy, thank you for your post. Phil and I were blessed to have visited Ground Zero a few times since the tragedy, and I completely agree with you. I remember one visit very specifically when we walked to lower Manhattan from mid-town and I remember the exact moment the "feeling" changed. We both looked at each other and felt it. Thank you for helping us remember the importance of talking about this day with our children, and remembering how this nation came together. We all need to be reminded of that. Peace to you today.

Laura said...

PK - A really great post. Thanks for sharing. I remember the day like it was yesterday... exactly what I was doing at work, who was in my office, my phone ringing with news of what was happening, and not really knowing at that very moment how are lives would be changed forever. I know you remember exactly what you were doing at that moment too. It is a day that will bind us all together forever... Thanks, again, for your post.