Sunday, July 4, 2010

Celebrating our Independence!

When I was in high school, I really couldn't get the whole significance of studying history. SNOOOOOOZER classes.  Somewhere along the way to having grown kids, I found history.  Maybe it was a combination of scrapbooking and genealogy and realizing that, duh, my ancestors had something to do with history!!  Not sure!  But when I think about what was involved in making this country free, I'm amazed. 

One of the best movies that I've seen about our country's struggles to become independent was the movie "John Adams" released in 2008.  It's a multi-part made for TV movie, so you need to take it in small doses, but it's really a great look at the sacrifices these people made to break free from their ties with England.

This may make me sound like a mega-dork, but I have always felt a tug at my heart when I hear and sing the Star Spangled Banner.  And when I pledge allegiance, I feel the allegiance.  I love this country.  I love that there were men who sat around discussing what it meant to be free.  I love that they decided to put it on paper.   
We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
On this day the celebration of our independence, I just want to say a prayer and thank those who have fought for our freedom. And in this crazy time when there are threats to change the interpretation of that constitution, I pray that those whose voices have long been silent will step forward to be heard.

To my dear blog friends, I hope you have a fun filled weekend celebrating your freedom with your family and friends.

GOD BLESS AMERICA! 

2 comments:

See Mom Smile said...

We loved the John Adams series! I too wish I had listened more in history class!!

scrapwordsmom said...

God Bless you, Peggy for sharing this!! We MUST go back to what our Founding Fathers put in place!!! The John Adams series is the BEST!!!:)

Enjoy your week!!!